This low sodium saucy garlic chicken over noodles reminds me a lot of chicken Alfredo but it’s much better for you. Which is good because Alfredo is bursting with sodium and super high in fat. This dish is full of creamy garlic flavor and it has spinach and egg noodles. The whole meal is made in your Instant Pot.
INSTANT POT LOW SODIUM SAUCY GARLIC CHICKEN OVER NOODLES
Sodium Total 864 mg – Sodium / Serving 144 mg – Calories / Serving 215
This meal as it was originally was not overly loaded with sodium, but it still needed some adjustments to make it comfortably low sodium. It feels good to remove the sodium where it’s not needed without sacrificing taste. So don’t skimp with the garlic on this one, make it indulgent. Besides who can say no to a creamy garlic sauce? Yes. Yes more please.
MAKING THE PASTA
You can cook pasta at the same time and in the same pot! Saving you time and an extra pot to clean up. Use a pan that is heat and pressure safe that fits inside your Instant Pot along with 3 cups of water and 10 ounces of egg noodles or any other pasta. (I used my medium sized stainless steel mixing bowl.) Place the I.P. trivet on the top of the chicken. Then carefully place the pan on the trivet. Break up any pasta that would not be submerged below the water. You can add a teaspoon of garlic powder to the water but do not salt!
This instant pot low sodium chicken could also be made with chicken thighs and is perfect over mashed potatoes or pasta. You could also pair it with a side of steamed green beans, asparagus, broccoli a side salad or, as I did here, with my sautéed spiralized zucchini and my low sodium naan flatbread. (This recipe and nutrition information – only includes garlic sauce chicken and noodles)
Instant Pot Low Sodium Saucy Garlic Chicken and Egg Noodles
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic pre-minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth no salt added
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless breasts sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped spinach
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredients for pasta:
- 10 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 3 cups water unsalted
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting “more” or high. When HOT add in the butter. When butter is melted add in the onions and sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add in the chicken broth, garlic powder and pepper then stir and scrape bottom if needed.
- You can cook pasta at the same time and in the same pot. Use a pan that is heat and pressure safe that fits inside your Instant Pot along with 3 cups of water and 10 ounces of egg noodles or any other pasta. Place the I.P. trivet on the top of the chicken. Then carefully place the pan on the trivet. Break up any pasta that would not be submerged below the water. Do not salt pasta water.
- Cover the pot and lock the lid. Ensure valve is closed and set to sealing. Set the manual pressure cook button to 6 minutes. When complete let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the valve to vent pressure.
- While instant pot is natural releasing, warm the cream in a small bowl 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Whisk the corn starch vigorously into the cream until smooth.
- Remove lid and carefully remove the bowl of pasta and set aside. Remove chicken using slotted spoon or tongs to a platter. Cover with foil or microwave spatter guard.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté more-high setting. Whisk the slurry into the Instant Pot. When thickened add in the parmesan cheese and spinach and combine. Remove liner from I.P. Add pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta. Place a serving of pasta and chicken on a plate and cover generously with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan and more spinach or parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information – The information shown is provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be substituted for a doctors or nutritionist’s advice. Please understand that not everyone’s sodium requirements are the same, therefore some recipes may be higher than you’re allowed. Always consult with your doctor for your recommended daily sodium allowance.
ABOUT MY INSTANT POT
To make Instant Pot saucy garlic chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot LUX60V3 6 in 1. The Instant Pot multi-cooker, combines 6 kitchen appliances in one, pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, sauté, steamer, and warmer. This Instant Pot is one of the very few appliances that stay on my counter since I use it so often weekly. It’s super easy to use and clean.
As always, please let me know how you like this recipe in the comments! I get motivated when I hear from you and am interested about how you liked and served your low sodium saucy garlic chicken over egg noodles. And please share any tips you might have.