Low Sodium Cabbage Goulash prepared in the Instant Pot is a rich and hearty that is both low sodium and low carb. And it is packed with vegetables making it a great choice for our diets. Even if you’re not a fan of cabbage you will love this recipe. The cabbage replaces the typical noodles perfectly as they have almost the same velvety bite that a flat noodle does.
|Average sodium amount per serving||700+ mg|
|Sodium per serving for this recipe||172 mg|
|Calories per serving||307|
Values above reflect recipe with cheese. See nutrition labels below for values without cheese.
This is a very filling meal all by itself and at around 170 mg of sodium is under my personal 200 mg per meal allowance. But you can lower it even more, down to 91 mg. per serving, by leaving the cheese out. I use the Swiss Gruyere shredded cheese for many things as it has the lowest sodium value that I have found. See the nutrition labels below.
This is really a great meal that is cheap, super simple to put together and is finished in less than an hour. With very little hands on time required at that! It is also an easy way to pack more vegetables in your diet, something that I am continually working at. I have made this in the noodle version and I will probably post that at some point, but I actually prefer the cabbage instead of the noodles. Plus it is just an easy way to avoid all the extra carbs.
WHAT IS A GOULASH?
It’s really just a traditional Hungarian stew with a cool name made of meat, vegetables and lots of paprika. Everybody likes saying goulash right? Maybe it’s just me. The American version became popular removing some of the vegetables and adding noodles and chunks of tomatoes when modified.
MY LOW SODIUM CABBAGE GOULASH RECIPE NOTES:
I used 1 ¼ lb. ground beef because I had extra to use up and I like a bit more meat in the dish. You can usually buy ground meat in 1 lb. increments so that is what’s listed in the recipe. But go ahead and use a little more 1/4 to 1/2 lb. if you’d like.
The Instant Pot may seem overfull when the cabbage is added but do not worry. It will reduce down perfectly.
I like my goulash with double or triple the paprika called for here. I listed the paprika in this recipe of low sodium cabbage goulash with a bit less paprika for people that do not have a “spicy taste”. So feel free to add more after the cooking cycle to your taste.
I like to put a small dollop of sour cream on the side of the plate or bowl and tip my fork in it along with the goulash. It gives it a wonderful creamy taste without being infused in the whole dish.
Add a few chives to the top too if you would like to add a crisp oniony bite to your meal.
MY INSTANT POT
To make this awesome Instant Pot Low Sodium Meal I used my 6 quart Instant Pot LUX60V3 6 in 1*. The Instant Pot multi-cooker, combines 6 kitchen appliances in one, pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, sauté, steamer, and warmer. This Instant Pot is one of the very few appliances that stay on my counter since I use several times a week. It’s super easy to use and clean.
As always, please let me know how you like this recipe in the comments! I get motivated when I hear from you and am interested to learn about how you liked and served your Low Sodium Cabbage Goulash. And please leave a comment or rating and share any tips you might have.
Low Sodium Cabbage Goulash
- 1 pound ground beef cooked & drained (see notes)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp pre-minced garlic
- 6 cups cabbage about ½ head very rough chop
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce no salt added
- 4 oz shredded Swiss Gruyere cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and adjust to high. When it reads HOT add in broken up ground beef. Add in the onion, pepper and pre-minced garlic. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Turn off the sauté setting. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add to pot in order: Lay the cabbage on top of the beef. Then sprinkle paprika and the rice on top of the cabbage. Pour broth over the top of the rice. Then add the whole cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and spread evenly around. Do not stir though.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Set the valve to sealing. Set the manual pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. After fully venting remove the lid.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and add any more paprika to taste.
- Eat immediately. Or after cooling, store in airtight container and place in fridge for up to four or five days.
Nutrition Information – The information shown is provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be substituted for a doctors or nutritionist’s advice. Please understand that not everyone’s sodium requirements are the same, therefore some recipes may be higher than you’re allowed. Always consult with your doctor for your recommended daily sodium allowance.
*Tasty Healthy Heart Recipes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
3 thoughts on “Low Sodium Cabbage Goulash – Instant Pot”
Thank you so much for this recipe, I am nee to the low sodium world due to health problems, I hope I can find for of your recipes as I learn
Made this for dinner and it did not disappoint. Really delicious and satisfying. The leftovers heated beautifully and were just as good, and maybe better than the original. Thank you for your recipes and the support on this low salt journey!
Thanks Marilyn, I think this recipe is passed over by so many but, it is one of my favorites! Glad you enjoyed it.